Heaven
It seems the past few days that Kiersten has been asking about Gigi more than usual. Maybe because we just celebrated Easter and talked about Jesus dying on the cross so that we can be forgiven and one day be with Him there. Whatever the reason...she just has been talking and asking questions.
When you ask her where Gigi is, she'll tell you she's in heaven. When we went to Nebraska a few weeks ago, I asked Kiersten on the way who we would see there. I wanted to know if she was expecting to see Gigi there or not. Not too surpisingly, she listed Aunt Kathy, Uncle Dave, the whole crew (even Aunt Nancy who lives in West Virginia), but she never mentioned Gigi. She understands that she isn't there anymore.
So, back to the conversations we've been having.
Me: Kiersten, we celebrate Easter because Jesus died so we can be forgiven and one day live with him in heaven.
Kiersten: Like Gigi?
Me: Yes, when Gigi died she went to heaven to be with Jesus.
Kiersten: Mommy, Gigi can't die. I love her too much.
Me: (in my head) How do I explain this one? I guess I haven't used the term "died" with her in reference to Gigi. We've just talked about her being with Jesus. (to Kiersten) Gigi was very sick and then died. She isn't with us anymore, but she is living with Jesus in heaven. She's all better now in heaven.
She seemed okay with that one so on we went to church Sunday. Today she and I were sitting on the couch painting our toenails and fingernails. That conversation went something like:
Kiersten: I'm going to heaven. Are you going to heaven?
Me: Well, yes, someday I will go to heaven. When we die that's what happens. Just like with Gigi.
Kiersten: Are you going to die, Mommy? Is Daddy going to die? Am I going to die?
Me: (again in my head) What was I thinking opening up that can of worms again? I was just trying to answer her question as simply as I could. Now I've gone and stirred up thoughts for her that a 3 year old can't possibly grasp. I don't want her scared. What do I say to complete this conversation? (to Kiersten) Honey, someday we will all die. But not until we're really old and become grandmas and grandpas. (and then like any good parent would do, I picked up the TV remote) and said, "How about watching some "Backyardigans?""
It seems the past few days that Kiersten has been asking about Gigi more than usual. Maybe because we just celebrated Easter and talked about Jesus dying on the cross so that we can be forgiven and one day be with Him there. Whatever the reason...she just has been talking and asking questions.
When you ask her where Gigi is, she'll tell you she's in heaven. When we went to Nebraska a few weeks ago, I asked Kiersten on the way who we would see there. I wanted to know if she was expecting to see Gigi there or not. Not too surpisingly, she listed Aunt Kathy, Uncle Dave, the whole crew (even Aunt Nancy who lives in West Virginia), but she never mentioned Gigi. She understands that she isn't there anymore.
So, back to the conversations we've been having.
Me: Kiersten, we celebrate Easter because Jesus died so we can be forgiven and one day live with him in heaven.
Kiersten: Like Gigi?
Me: Yes, when Gigi died she went to heaven to be with Jesus.
Kiersten: Mommy, Gigi can't die. I love her too much.
Me: (in my head) How do I explain this one? I guess I haven't used the term "died" with her in reference to Gigi. We've just talked about her being with Jesus. (to Kiersten) Gigi was very sick and then died. She isn't with us anymore, but she is living with Jesus in heaven. She's all better now in heaven.
She seemed okay with that one so on we went to church Sunday. Today she and I were sitting on the couch painting our toenails and fingernails. That conversation went something like:
Kiersten: I'm going to heaven. Are you going to heaven?
Me: Well, yes, someday I will go to heaven. When we die that's what happens. Just like with Gigi.
Kiersten: Are you going to die, Mommy? Is Daddy going to die? Am I going to die?
Me: (again in my head) What was I thinking opening up that can of worms again? I was just trying to answer her question as simply as I could. Now I've gone and stirred up thoughts for her that a 3 year old can't possibly grasp. I don't want her scared. What do I say to complete this conversation? (to Kiersten) Honey, someday we will all die. But not until we're really old and become grandmas and grandpas. (and then like any good parent would do, I picked up the TV remote) and said, "How about watching some "Backyardigans?""




No comments:
Post a Comment